Don’t worry, Tile collects location data exclusively for accurate finding. We don't share data unless you ask us to, and we won’t sell this data or use it for advertising purposes.
What permissions and settings should I enable?
- Bluetooth: Set to On so you can activate Tile-enabled devices, ring Tiles within range, and update the location of your Tile.
- Location preferences: Set to Allow all the time to ring a Tile, use Tile's find my phone feature, and so the Tile app can provide the most up-to-date location of your Tile on the map.
- Notifications: Set to On so the Tile app can send you alerts for permission settings, battery level, and Notify When Found updates. Or, if you have Smart Alerts, notifications to let you know if you left a Tiled item behind.
iOS (Apple) devices:
- Bluetooth: Set OS-level permissions and App-level permissions to On so you can activate Tile enabled devices, ring Tiles within range, and update the location of your Tile.
- Location preferences: Set to Always to see the most up-to-date, accurate location of your Tile on a map and Find your phone. Tile cannot guarantee accurate finding unless location preferences are always set to "Always".
- Background app refresh: Set to On so your things can be found and their locations will update even when the app is not open.
- Motion & Fitness: (Only applicable for Premium subscribers) Set to On so Tile has access to sensor data to reduce “false alerts” when using Smart Alerts.
- Notifications: Set to On so the Tile app can send you alerts for permission settings, battery level, and Notify When Found updates. Notifications are also necessary if you have Smart Alerts to let you know if you left a Tiled item behind.
The Tile app for iOS devices makes checking your permission settings easy. To check that you have enabled the above settings correctly, simply:
- Open the Tile App.
- Select the Gear Icon in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down to Permissions Status and tap, under the Support section.
- You'll see a checkmark next to each permission setting if it is set up correctly,
How do I enable location services on my device?
Android Location Settings:
Note: Each Android device may vary -- like Samsung vs Nexus -- so if you're unable to find your Location Services settings, please see your phone's manual or support site.
- From your home screen, enter your Settings menu.
- Tap on Location, Location services, or Location access – whichever your phone shows.
- From this screen, toggle location services to "On" for the Tile app, if it is not, you will not be able to scan for Tiles, which can affect activation and location updates.
iOS Location Settings:
- On your iPhone or iPad, tap Settings.
- Scroll down to the Tile app and tap.
- Tap on Location.
- Select "Always".
- Location services must be set to "Always" for your Tile features to work accurately.
- To allow Tile to obtain a more accurate location, you can also enable Precise Location from the screen.
What if I want location preferences set to "While Using the App" or "Never"? Will Tile still work?
It is important that you set your permissions to "Always" to receive accurate location updates for your Tile.
If location preferences are set to While Using the App, Tile will be able to perform some, but not all, of its main functions.
- The Tile app will still be able to ring your Tiled item if it is in range.
- The location of your Tile will only update if the Tile app is open and in range, or if the Tile comes within range of someone in the Tile Network.
- For iOS - If location is set to While Using the App, Tile will not be able to find your phone.
If location preferences are set to Never:
- The Tile app will still be able to ring an item within range for iOS devices, but it will not work for Android devices
- The location of your Tile will only update if it comes into contact with another Tiler whose Tile app is running on their device.
- You will not be able to find your phone.
I'd like more help or information on permission settings. How can I contact Tile?
Check out our Customer Care Center here to choose which mode of contact works best for you. We look forward to hearing from you!