Tile has partnered with Bose to add Tile smart location to the Bose SoundSport Wireless headphones!
The SoundSport Wireless are lightweight Bluetooth headphones with the powerful sound you’d expect from Bose. And more!
Unlike typical headphones, The Bose SoundSport Wireless headphones have an exclusive firmware update which adds Tile finding technology right into the headphones. Once you activate Tile on your headphones, you can ring your headphones if they're misplaced nearby, or see the last place you had them if misplaced further away.
To download the Bose firmware update, please be sure to install the Bose Connect App on your smartphone. For details about the Bose Connect app, check out Bose’s website.
Please note that only the standard SoundSport Wireless model is eligible for this firmware update and does not include the SoundSport Pulse, Free or any other Bose models at this time. If you’d like to see Tile in other devices, please submit your feedback to us here!
How do I activate my Bose SoundSport Wireless headphones?
- First, make sure to update your Bose firmware to version 2.7.7 using the Bose Connect app.
- Download the Tile app
- Create and confirm your account
- Open the Tile app and tap the + sign, then tap to select Bose SoundSport wireless earbuds
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure the headphones are charged and powered on in order to activate the Tile!
- Hold your headphones close to your phone until you see the onscreen message that tells you activation has completed.
How does Tile work with the Bose SoundSport Wireless headphones?
Once you have updated your Bose firmware to version 2.7.7 using the Bose Connect app and activated your Bose SoundSport Wireless headphones using the Tile app, the Tile technology inside your SoundSport Wireless headphones works in the same three ways as a Tile normally would!
Your SoundSport Wireless headphones utilize Tile’s Bluetooth tracking technology to find your headphones if it's hiding nearby or see the location of where your headphones were last connected, all within the Tile app on your phone.
How will I know if my Bose SoundSport Wireless headphones have been activated with the Tile app?
There are two ways you can tell that your headphones have been activated by the Tile app:
- The Tile app will show a Tile card with your SoundSport Wireless headphones
- After activation, when you power on the headphones, listen for the voice which says “Tile Activated.”
If you’ve purchased the headphones from a third party and the voiceover says “Tile Activated”, this means that the Tile integration was activated by the previous owner and must be disabled by the original owner. Please contact Tile support if you need any assistance.
My SoundSport Wireless headphones are not connecting to my Tile app, what can I do?
Not to worry, here are some quick things to check:
- Make sure your headphones are charged! Since the Tile integration uses the headphones' built-in battery, if the battery's charge level is below 10% then the headphones cannot power on or connect to the Tile app.
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your smartphone. The Bose SoundSport Wireless are wireless headphones that connect with your smartphone via Bluetooth for normal audio playback and phone calls. The Tile app also uses Bluetooth to connect to the headphones briefly and update the location so you'll know where you last had them.
For Android smartphones, you'll especially want to check that Location Services are enabled. The Android operating system requires Location Services to be enabled to scan for Bluetooth devices. This is not specific to Tile.
Still having trouble connecting? Consider restarting your phone by powering it off, then back on. This can be especially helpful if you haven't turned off your phone in a long time. Restarting your phone helps to clear out any Bluetooth errors that can interfere with connectivity.
When I press "Find" in the Tile app, the volume of the finding tune seems low, why is that?
The finding tune for the SoundSport Wireless will gradually increase, starting softly just in case your headphones are in your ears! Kindly wait for a few seconds and you'll hear the tune come up to full volume.
Additionally, when you "Find" your headphones, you’ll hear the headphones' "Tile Activated" message, as if the headphones are turned on. This can also delay the finding tune by a few seconds as the tune starts when the prompt is done.
If you are listening to music and press the “Find” button in the Tile app, you will hear this message: “The earbud locator alarm is about to go off, remove your earbuds now.” The tune does increase gradually but you’ll want to remove the headphones if you’re concerned about it getting too loud.
The location of my headphones is showing incorrectly in the Tile app, how can I fix this?
- Please be sure that Location Services are enabled on your smartphone and that location permissions are Always granted to the Tile app - the Tile app needs access to your phone's location so that it can update your headphones when they connect to your phone.
- The Tile app uses your phone's native maps application to understand where it is in the world. Please open Apple Maps for iOS or Google Maps for Android if you don’t open these apps regularly. This will ensure that your phone's GPS information is reporting properly and will allow Tile to accurately locate your headphones.
- Make sure your phone is not in Low Power (iOS) or Battery Saving (Android) modes to ensure that Location is updating properly. When in battery saving mode, the phone will update location information much less frequently, if at all.
- For more recent versions of Android, especially Android 8 (Oreo) and 9 (Pie), be sure to add the Tile app to the unrestricted apps list to allow it to always run in the background even if you haven't opened the app recently. This is how the Tile app is designed to work but sometimes the Android OS will stop the app from working if you haven't opened it recently.
I want to remove the Tile integration from my SoundSport Wireless headphones, can I add it back later?
Yes! If you decide you'd like to remove the Tile integration from your headphones you can do so right in our Tile app, Please be sure that your Tile app is connected to the headphones so that the green "Find" button shows up on the Tile card.
Check out this page for directions on how to remove the Tile integration for your SoundSport Wireless.
Can I get a refund or warranty for my Bose SoundSport Wireless headphones?
All refunds and warranties are fulfilled through Bose. You can contact Bose at their website with a variety of support options.